Friday 27 November 2009

There but for Grace

My darling Grace departs our fair shores tomorrow for nine months of adventure and gallivanting. I've been coping quite well with this up until now - but suddenly, at three o'clock in the afternoon, it all feels terribly real. Real excitement and happiness for her, and real loss for me.

We go way back. Back to Upminster, back to school, back to university. Back to the union and sugar and boozy lunches that left us good for nothing by the time neighbours started. Back to laughing until we cried, and crying until we laughed. Back to all our mistakes and inappropriate boyfriends. Back to our successes and triumphs. Back to everything that has been hard in my life. Back to when she has unfailingly been at my side. Looking forward to next year's Carnival and many, many Clapham nights of hilarity and outrageousness with our partners in crime. Looking forward to sitting on my sofa in pyjamas, martinis in hand. Looking forward to having her back, the same but different. Looking forward to everything she will have to tell me and teach me.

Here's to Grace. Then and Now and Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment