Tuesday 18 May 2010

The 6th of May

Isabella Blow. Vogue House Alum, Style Icon, British Eccentric, Muse and Champion.

An aristocrat without a penny to her name who went from cleaner to Anna Wintour's assistant. From Editor to Fashion Agent Provocateur.

A Christopher Colombus in couture, she discovered Philip Traecy, Alexander McQueen, Sophie Dahl, Stella Tennant.

A woman with almost as many alter-egos as hats - ""I think hats will take over from drugs. I loathe drugs and I think the excitement of hats is that they can conquer them. And it's so much healthier than having a shot of heroin or a line of cocaine or something." A classic Blowism - mad, witty and delightful.

Issy died the year before I joined Conde Nast and just months before my work placement at Tatler, where she was Fashion Director before becoming a contributing Editor after her move to the Sunday Times. I never met her, but I could feel her in the heavy shock and sadness that surrounded her suicide in the corridors that were usually so full of frivolous fun and scandalous gossip.

I am thinking about her today, because her wardrobe is up for auction at Christie's (my article at vogue.com) and I discovered that she died on the same day as a dear friend of mine - the 6th May. My friend died young and beautiful at 23. Issy died older, and at her own hand. The people and the manner polarised, but the loss is the same. The loss is always the same.

I think I would have loved Isabella Blow. I feel sorrow for those who loved and lost her.


No comments:

Post a Comment