Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Wonders of Wigan

Wigan. The home of Vernon Kay and Pataks Curry. And most importantly, the home of Janine Stott, my dear friend. I have been avoiding visiting Janine in her own habitat for a good five years now (being a self confessed London snob who has never been north of Oxford, thank you very much) - but what a mistake that was. The North is full of unimaginable delights, and I was treated to a full tour - Wigan, Bolton, Manchester and Blackpool. The gems in the northern crown, if you will.

Being the tourist and happy snapper that I am, I captured my Northern Adventure in photographic form.


Because in Wigan, there is always a sofa that needs moving, and I felt this was an opportunity not to be missed. It was just like we were in Friends! Except we were in Wigan, not New York, and we were sat on top of a volvo in a carpark... but other than that it was uncanny.

Fish and chips in Blackpool - minutes later I was accosted by a man in a short sleeved t-shirt who laughed at me for wearing a hat and scarf. At night. In late October. On a pier. I have learnt that layers are not de rigeur in Blackpool.

Incidentally, neither is taking a photo of someone else's chips and gravy. Yes. Chips with gravy. A northern delicacy which takes the traditional potato chip, and covers it in bisto. Wonders never cease.

Tomfoolery on the pier.

Blackpool culinary delights

Tomfoolery on the waltzers - a calculated risk after culinary delights.


The bright city lights.

And last but certainly not least: the birthday girl. Wigan's crowning glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment