Wednesday 13 January 2010

A Morning Person

I love my week day mornings. A surprising realisation, as my 7.30 start time is usually what I cite as the one thing about my job I'd change. Turns out maybe I wouldn't.

I like being awake before everyone else. I like not having much time to fuss over my appearance. I like my footprints being amongst the first in the snow. I like wrapping up in cotton cardigans and coat, gloves, hat and scarf for the trudge to the station. Warm in soft layers, cosy against the cold and darkness.

I like being the first in the office, sometimes the building. I like that first hour of hot tea and quiet pottering with smatterings of newspaper reading, email sending and diary co-ordinating. I like that sometimes I am awake for over two hours before I've uttered a word.

I like weekdays. I like mornings. I like an awful lot about my life right now.

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written. That is EXACTLY how I feel when I get to my office too.

    I especially love that the phones don't start ringing until 9am!

    My friend Chantal introduced me to your blog and I understand why! Great blog!

    http://layersandswathes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete