Thursday 28 January 2010

The Power of Mac

I am not technologically savvy. I am competent in a way that it is impossible not to be if you are a (reasonably) educated twenty something who lives in London - some tech knowledge is, thankfully, inescapable. However I've never been one to lust for the latest gadget, hanker after a touch phone, or covet the blackberry of mine neighbour. I always assumed this was just the way I was wired, and just like I'll never feel entirely comfortable in flat shoes, I'll never be a techno whizz kid. Then I became a Mac.

There is a marked difference between a Techie and a Mac. I am never the former, always the latter. The only technology that interests me is sold via so-trendy-it-hurts technicolour advertising and arrives promptly in chic white, minimalist packaging.

It started with a pink mini ipod, which developed to a Classic, and finally peaked with the arrival of my beloved Macbook. Additions came in the form of a nano and a shuffle and it felt as though my Mac family was a complete and happy one. Obviously I hanker for an iphone, and rue the day I signed such a long contract for my current non-mac phone, but I know it is just a matter of time, and so I wait patiently.

Last night something amazing happened. My amazement is twofold.

1) Steve Jobs presented the Ipad to the world. A completely new media device that is neither phone nor laptop, but somewhere inbetween. It has the potential to revolutionise not only how we view all kinds of media, but also how we create, merge, present and undertsand it.
2) I am aware of a technological advancement on the day it is announced. And I'm pretty excited about it.

The power of Mac.


No comments:

Post a Comment