Tuesday 13 April 2010

Beside the Seaside


My parents have upped sticks from Upminster to a little seaside town called Deal, nestled prettily on the Kent coast.

For the two weeks before I was able to visit, the idea of their new life seemed foreign and surreal to me. We moved to our old Essex home when I was little more than a baby, and I only flew my beloved nest two years ago, when Vogue House called and it was time to play at being a grown-up for a while. That home was safe and wonderful and I loved it. I thought I'd be devastated when they moved - and to be fair, when the concept was first floated I probably was - but I'm not playing at being grown-up anymore. I am grown-up. I have made my own home and my own life, and I couldn't be happier that my wonderful parents are able to continue with theirs.

Easter weekend was the perfect opportunity to hop on the train for a visit - American in tow.

Deal is gorgeous - really, really gorgeous. Winding streets, historic houses, a pier and promenade, quirky coffee shops and charity shops and pubs and restaurants and a town library. Everybody has dogs, everybody is windswept. It smells of salt and sea and I fell in love with it straight away.

The whimsical nature of this live little English town captured Dan's imagination, and he snapped away for our viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment