Wednesday 7 April 2010

Brixton Blackout


Darkness descended upon Brixton last night - a real and very sudden darkness. The type of darkness you don't often see unless you're in remote countryside, or in our case, during a quite epic powercut. My quiet street was enveloped in thick blackness, save for a few candles glowing in windows, and flashes of no doubt dusty and forgotten torches.

Obviously I do not own a torch. I do however have a bit of a candle obsession, which was somewhat of a godsend. It all felt like a bit of an adventure - finding matches by the lights of our iPhones, cooking a makeshift dinner on the hob in muted candlelight. Listening to the radio. Talking. Simple. Romantic.

I am only able to take this rather whimsical viewpoint because I awoke to hot water and a functioning hairdryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment